Monday, January 9, 2012

Day 1: D-Day Has Arrived...

I don't really know if anyone reads this blog anymore since I post so sporadically, but for those of you who do, things are about to get...interesting. This is because I am finally fed up with feeling like a bloated, fat pig who can no longer blame this condition on having a baby. Because that baby came out of me nine months ago and has been replaced with grossness. Blech. I tried to get myself back in order a few months ago but because Tenley refused to cooperate (silly baby!) I could not find a time to get a workout in. I kept telling myself, "Just wait until January when everyone else is on a workout kick and then jump in." Once I resolved myself to "waiting until January" I went ape, eating everything in sight for the last three months. I am super surprised that Tenley has made it out alive without a single bite mark. The time has finally arrived, friends, and I need to get my ass back to the size it was before I was impregnated- or as close to that size as possible.

For the past three months, January 9th has been looming. Today is the day that John went back to school and the day that seemed like the right time to start working out and eating better. Over his break, John did a great job of cleaning up the basement which opened up a great space for me to kick my own butt. We have acquired a full set of free weights (of which I can only lift, like, three) so that will hopefully work into the routine at some point. In full preparation for today, I spent my weekend stuffing my face and being as lazy as humanly possible with an 8 month old. I. Was. Ready.

I woke up this morning and have done fantastically all day. I ate without snacking (which has become a HUGE vice for me) and actually worked out. I have decided that I am not going to count calories- it is far too time consuming and close to impossible at this point in my life. Also, I am still nursing Tenley so a drastic cut in calories is not in the cards. What I WILL do is trade cookies for veggies, cake for whole grains, and candy for...well, I might still have some candy. My main goal with eating is to stop hoarfing cookies every chance I get and to cut WAY down on the disgusting fast food I've been eating. If I have to eat out, it needs to be Subway and not Jimmy John's or McDonald's. So, Judy at Subway who called me out for being such a frequent customer two years ago- Mama's comin' home.

The biggest part of this whole slim down for me is the workout. I have decided to give P90X the good old college try. It was my workout of choice a few months ago and I really liked it save for the part that I couldn't find an hour every day to do it. Now that Tenley has decided that an hour and a half nap every afternoon is a GOOD thing, I think it will be perfect for me. I don't have to leave the house and the workout is different every day. The downside is that it is 6 days on and only 1 day off, but hopefully I can figure out how to stick with it. My brother has done this program and he is friggin' RIPPED. I only hope that I can get toned enough to not want to jump off a bridge every time I look in a mirror.

Today was Day 1 of the workout and it was great. P90X Day 1 is chest and back followed by Ab Ripper X. I hate that the first day is full of the stuff I CAN'T do- push ups and pull ups. I can jump, squat, and bicep curl all day long but pushups? Yeah, right. I made it through but my arms now feel like jelly and every time I pick up Tenley I fear for her safety...which means I must have done something right. The Ab Ripper X was awful but I made it through. They don't call it Ab Ripper for nothing...I literally think that my body was in two pieces at the end of it and I was sweating like a pig. Again...must have done something right.

To wrap this up, I want to tell you of my goal. I weighed myself after my first workout and it turns out that I only really have about 10 pounds to lose. Those 10 pounds would put me 4 pounds less than I weighed before I found out I was pregnant and right where I want to be. 15 pounds would put me at the weight I was on my wedding day (Which makes me think, Man, I've gained 15 pounds since my wedding? That wasn't THAT long ago!). In the end, it's really not about the weight but about feeling like I look good. My brother is getting married in June and I am part of that wedding. I already have my bridesmaid dress and I had to order it in a size SIX SIZES BIGGER than I used to wear. SIX SIZES! Damn you, Banana Republic for making me feel like a heifer, but it does provide some good motivation. I would like to do this P90 X for the 90 days I'm supposed to, blogging through my journey to keep me honest. Hopefully I can stick with it. I took a "before" picture that I thought about posting, but it is way too embarrassing. If I have a good "after" result, I will consider posting both. I guess we shall see in 90 days...

No comments:

Post a Comment