Saturday, May 12, 2012

Lean Days 5 and 6: Some Good, Some Bad

Since I am writing this post on Saturday and neglected to post yesterday, I am sure you have assumed that I did not work out yesterday. You assumed right. Yesterday was such a beautiful, fantastic day and working out just didn't fit into that picture for me. But let me back up and let you know a little bit about Thursday night. So as stated in my last post, John and I were gearing up to go to The Cubby Bear and see George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic. We left home around 8:00 and made it inside The Cubby Bear by 9 or so. It was a pretty thin crowd at first and I wasn't sure what to expect. Initially, there was a little bit of this and a little bit of that- lots of flannel, some tie-dye, a few hipsters, and some kind of weird-ish old people. As the night went on, I decided that I was a little out of place in my cute sequined shorts, salmon top, and heels. But that was OK- mama doesn't get to dress up very much. John kept trying to prepare me for what I would see as we waited (another hour!) for the band to come on. I couldn't figure out what the big deal was- they were only a band, right? It turns out that nothing in the world could prepare me for the strangeness that I would witness in the next 2 hours. Holy. Cow. First of all, when the whole band is on the stage there are about 25 people up there. NOT exaggerating. The fist layer of people (at the back of the stage) included a bass player, a (white) keyboard player with a shirt that read "I Love Mary Jane" (which at first I thought was in homage to his girlfriend but later figured out it had another meaning, another keyboard player whom I realized later had a lit joint hanging out of his mouth the ENTIRE show, and a guy who had a double guitar and a stocking hat with a spelunking light around his head. The next layer of people included a guitar player that looked like Lil' Wayne, a saxophone player that looked like he just rolled out of bed, a trumpet player with a camouflage shirt, a backup singing guy in a suit from the 70s, another backup singer in a really smooth looking modern suit, a girl backup singer in a psychedelic striped dress with her bra hanging out and a huge afro. Then, to top it off, there was George Clinton's son in a denim tuxedo whose shirt kept coming more and more unbuttoned as the night went on, a girl who appeared to be on crack in a "sexy" nurse's uniform and wore roller skates part of the time, a ripped guy in fuzzy white pants and no shirt with a fake nose and a cheesy fake gun, and at one point a guy in white face paint and Mickey Mouse gloves. And then there was George himself in a suit that was too small, a tie that was too short, and suspenders. At one point, the guy who was keeping the band supplied with water came out and rapped and George's granddaughter came out and rapped a NASTY song about weed and female private parts. And those are only the people I can remember. I think I could have gone up there and no one would have even noticed! It was quite a night. The music is DEFINITELY not my thing but John was in 7th heaven and thought it was the greatest show on the planet. It could have something to do with the contact high I'm sure we contracted from the white 20-somethings to our right who came to the show in a limo (??), but then again John is a true fan. He told me last night that they were going to be in Traverse City and the first thing I thought was "Dear Lord not when we are going to be there. Please. Because this was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me." Thankfully he's going to be in TC in mid-May, NOT late July. After that eventful night, we slept in a little on Friday and then I spent all day with Tenley. John had the day off so he did lots of work in the yard and Tenley and I went to the park, played with her water table, and napped. By the time the evening rolled around, we decided to have a fire pit and make S'mores and I decided that workout was NOT in the cards. What a great day :) Today was a little bit better on the working out front. We got up, had breakfast, and then John took Ten and I did Kenpo. After that we got ready and took Tenley to see Sesame Street Live which was incredibly cute and she sat through the whole thing pretty riveted. It was a success :) I see a lot of Sesame Street in our future, more because John seems to be becoming obsessed with it. Once we left the show, we went to Babies R Us to get Tenley some new shoes and then came home. John just took off to go to a Sox game and Ten and I are here for the evening. I am ready to go to bed and it's only 5:30. Instead, we are going to run to Target to get some last minute Mother's Day cards and then take it easy together. :) 84 days to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment