Thursday, May 6, 2010

"I Have Never Met More Women Who Have More F-in' Issues"

This awesome line was just uttered by the new Housewife on the New York block, Jennifer, as another Housewife stormed out of yet another hoity-toity party. Yes my friends, if you are a fan of Bravo TV, I am talking about The Real Housewives of New York City. I don't know why I watch this show, but I am completely and totally hooked on watching the drama implode on this series that I tune in diligently every Thursday at 9:00. I feel like this group of Housewives is miles apart from the other franchises because of their complete sense of entitlement and their no-holds-barred bitchiness. If this group of women were catapulted in to a current day prep school, it would be a real life version of Gossip Girl. Every snipe, every fight, every cocktail-laden boozy event makes for TV gold.

Why does America thrive on drama? I have noticed this a lot since moving into the "real world." Sure there were tiffs with friends in high school and falling outs with other friends in college, but in the back of my mind I thought that this petty dramatic fodder was something that stayed in those pre-grownup years so it didn't bother me as much when it was happening. Now that I am pushing THIRTY YEARS OLD, I can't believe the amount of drama that I still find myself involved in even though I feel that I am a "drama-free person." And what does that mean? "Drama-free person?" I feel that this term is used by people who like to perpetuate drama and try to escape the blame by saying "I'm just trying to stay out of it" while talking about it behind someone else's back. Whatever the infatuation with drama is, I would be happy if I would never have to deal with it again.

A lot of the drama I deal with is at work. My students are always coming to me with "she-said-she-said" stories that I have to sit through and be empathetic about. Every time I hear about someone having a fight with one of their friends, I wish I could tell them that it stops once you leave high school or it gets better as you grow up. It doesn't. As I listened to someone this week describe their ended friendship with their former "best friend" I couldn't help but be taken back to the many identical situations I have been in over the years and how important it seemed at the time. In the end, you have to have good friends that you can surround yourself with and can count on all the time. Good friends are hard to find and I am happy to say that although we have our ups and downs, I have many, many good friends that I love dearly. That's what makes life worth living.

Back to the Housewives- my words to new housewife Jennifer are this: Turn around, grab your Fendi clutch, and run those Blahnik heels as fast as you can in the other direction. If the first words out of your mouth on this show are, "I have never met more women who have more f-in' issues" then your gut is trying to tell you something. Follow it. Being the 6th wheel on a D list reality show on an off cable station is not worth all the pain, suffering, and damage to your liver that this show will do to you. If you choose to say, may the force be with you...consider yourself warned. It won't be long before you have a table flipped all over you and your Gucci attire while being called a prostitution whore- whatever that means.

1 comment:

  1. A prostitution whore is someone who gets paid to have sex with the men who work at the Department of Redundancy Department.

    ReplyDelete