Monday, October 31, 2011

Can I Get a Hell to the BINGO!?

I have officially turned into an adult mother-type person. At least by LaGrange, IN standards. Yesterday marked the day of the annual LaGrange County Tri Kappa Basket Bingo scholarship event and I was in attendance. My mom has been a member of Tri Kappa for years and has recently gone inactive (she did her time, yo) and could actually participate in the playing of the Bingo this year, so she rounded up a bunch of my aunts for a Sunday of food and Bingo fun. Since I happened to be home this past weekend, I was roped in to the party.

Now I say that this is a rite of passage because it is the first time I left my child with someone other than John or a grandparent (so it was my Aunt Lou who is like another grandparent to me but still...) and went to do something FUN. Let me further clarify that, in my old life, something FUN would have consisted of getting a drink or seeing Twilight for the 11th time or shopping for bar clothes but in my new life consists of PLAYING BINGO. Like a 90 year old. And I don't even CARE!

When I arrived at Lakeland Middle School, I stood in a LINE TO GET IN. Seriously. The joint was packed with women in mom jeans and cardigan sweaters (not everyone, but most of them) shuffling over each other to put raffle tickets in buckets next to Pampered Chef, Longaberger, Vera Bradley, and 31 door prizes. I didn't think that any of these items would interest me until I spotted the Pampered Chef pizza baking stone (I could definitely use that for my taco pizza next time...), or the large utility tote from 31 (I could carry so much more laundry to the basement if I had that thing...) or even the Vera Bradley ipad case (That is so cute!).

Let me just stop right there and let you know that yesterday was a big Come to Jesus moment for me. Like, who in the WORLD have I become? I always looked at women from my home town who swore by Vera Bradley and collected Longaberger baskets were so small town, but I have come to realize that they are just grown up. I never in a million years thought that I would go to Basket Bingo and enjoy myself, let alone hope that I would win a prize. That all changed when I had a blast with my mom and family members yesterday and I find myself wishing more and more every day that I lived closer to home so that I could enjoy more time like that with them.

I realize that this post is a little lame, but I just can't get over how much fun I had yesterday and how serious the ladies of LaGrange take their Bingo. Although I did Bingo once, so did four other people at the same time and I lost out in the tiebreaker (and on that large utility tote). To the ladies of Tri Kappa LaGrange (who will probably never read this blog which I am happy about because they might find some of the rest of the entries a tad inappropriate)- you put on a GREAT event for a wonderful cause and I am so happy that I was able to spend yesterday afternoon with you!

1 comment:

  1. You're a nerd. But I love it. And just for the record...nothing wrong with seeing Twilight for the 11th time; I'm watching it right now. LoL

    ReplyDelete